Reading Tips for Parents
By Ana Kitharidis
Read to or listen to your child read every day
(between 10-20 minutes)
Tip 9 How can we best help at home???
- spend quality reading time reading with or to or by your child every day
- always sounding out individual letters is a No! No!
- Show them that reading is important; read newspapers, recipes, magazines, TV Guide, IPad (practical & useful reading) IN YOUR OWN LANGUAGE
- let your child see you reading
- lots of speaking and conversations (IN YOUR OWN LANGUAGE OR ENGLISH)
- give them lots of life experiences; visit places, shopping centres, and talk about what they see( expand their vocabulary)
- make use of a library regularly
- care for books; how to turn pages and no eating or drinking near books
- Borrowing books from the school library
- Use a reader bag to protect the book